Saturday, April 17, 2010

Response to the reading of Swales & Feak(1994)'s unit 2: Writing General-Specific Texts

As I read each chapter of Swales & Feak’s book, I realize how useful this book is for academic writers especially for EFL learners. This chapter introduces how to write “General-Specific texts” (Swales & Feak, 1994, p.33), using sentence definitions because GS paragraph usually begins with sentence definitions.

Having read this paper, I understood that how to define terms using sentences, and that there are various sentence definitions for GS texts such as extended definitions, contrastive definitions, and comparative definitions (Swales & Feak, 1994). Grammatical tips about deletion of relative clauses are very helpful for me. While doing some tasks in this chapter, I felt I do not only improve academic writing skills but also useful grammar skills as well.

Swales, J. & Feak, C. B. (1994). Writing general-specific texts. Academic writing for graduate students: A course for non-native speakers of English (pp.33-55). Ann Arbor, MI: the University of Michigan Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment