Saturday, April 10, 2010

Response to the reading of Swales & Feak (1994)'s unit 4: Data Commentary

This chapter introduces how to integrate data in academic writing using ‘data commentaries’ (Swales & Feak, 1994, p.77). I have not used data commentaries in my academic writing because I did not know how to deal with various data in tables, graphs, figures and etc. Therefore¸ when I needed data for my writing, I have usually dealt with data to attach graphs or figures only, or to explain in sentences without the original data form like graphs or figures.

After reading this chapter, I started to understand how I can deal with those data in my writing. It is, of course, still complicated but Swales & Feak (1994)’s practical tips are quite helpful. There are also useful expressions to explain data effectively for academic writing. As long as I apply these practical tips in my writing properly, I may be a better academic writer!

Swales, J. & Feak, C. B. (1994). Data Commentary. Academic writing for graduate students: A course for non-native speakers of English (pp.77-103). Ann Arbor, MI: the University of Michigan Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment